12Dec - Alex, Carman, Chaitra, & Jess have a set of tickets to attend 3 Raptors games - today, one in January and another in February.
I drop them off at the ACC with a promise to return for pick-up later. Shortly after I arrive home, I receive this photo from Jess:
I think Carman is having a good time so far!
Traffic was a nightmare when I returned to pick them up. In fact, the street is blocked and manned by police at the entrance where I dropped them off. After sitting thru 3 turns of the lights, I slowly approach the barricade across the intersection and stop by one of the policemen. I roll down the window and he indicates he’ll be right with me. I explain that I’m to pick up 2 people who are on oxygen and can’t walk any great distance. He says, “What about us? We could use some oxygen!” then proceeds to move the cones so I can slide thru.
I text the gang to let them know I’m hear, then find a spot to semi-park and wait. Other cars and taxis are streaming in and out completing there pick-ups and as the time goes by and I don’t see my crew, I become concerned. A few texts later they emerge from the ACC and I see immediately what’s up...Jess is barely moving. One step, coughs wrack her body, another step, same thing. We all bid Alex a farewell as he heads to the station to catch his train, then bundle everyone else into the car. Now comes the fun of making the journey out of the court and into traffic.
Poor Jess is heaving for breath all the way home. We text Carla and ask her to bring the wheelchair down to meet us when we arrive. Jess insists she is fine to walk but when Mom appears with the chair she gratefully takes a seat.
Carman and I then head north on Yonge to deliver Chaitra home. Once we clear Bloor the traffic thins out and by the time we’re headed south to return home, the travel is a breeze!
We are worried about Jess though - and hope she gets called for a transplant very soon!
No comments:
Post a Comment