Sunday, 16 December 2012

Solid-hairity!


07Dec
Today was a day of Solid-hairity with my friend Kristy and then I have a date tonight with an old friend. Carman has been telling me all week that he wants to stay home on his own tonight, so has been practising for the past coupe of days to prove to be that he doesn’t need someone to stay with him. He has been very careful about his oxygen and nearly made me fall off my chair when he appeared at 10:25 this morning...all dressed! This I had to share, so sent Jess a picture captioned “Look who’s up already!”...she replies, “I know! I’m so proud!”. Apparently he had texted her immediately when he first got out of bed.

Kristy wears her hair at shoulder length and has had some problems the past few months with more than the usual amount staying in the brush and on the floor, instead of on her head. It’s been growing back very well, but now she has multiple lengths (as opposed to layers) and it’s time we see to fixing the situation. My friend Lynette highly recommended the staff at Donna Dolphy Salon so I call to see if we can get an appointment - for both of us, at the same time. I explain our situation to Jillian (the salon is on the 2nd floor...lots of stairs) and she tells me there are 2 landings at which we can stop for a rest if needed. She’ll book us so we’re together and we’ll just see what happens. 

Before going to the salon, I had emailed my beautiful friend Elisa to let her know what was up. She has been my stylist and good friend for about 30 years, and I want her to know I’m not out to two-time on her!

We arrive thanks to Mom’s taxi (many thanks Susan, great idea that you drive so we don’t have to find parking, I don’t have to leave Kristy in the street and walk back to meet her, etc.). Susan drops us right at the door, I grab Kristy’s stroller and we head in. Kristy pulls me and the stroller up the stairs (superwoman) to the Salon where Jillian welcomes us as we walk in, calling us by name - and offers us a beverage - sharp woman! Chante volunteers to make us each a latte with foam and does a beautiful job of them (she tells us she was trained by her former boss who is Italian and very particular about his java beverages).

Who shows up to do our consult but the venerable Donna herself! We talk about the situation and what type of hair raising we should do. She decides that rather than both of us being fully cropped, she will leave the length at the back for Kristy and trim the front out evenly, while leaving the length on top and front for me and cropping the back. We will be Ying & Yang, two halves making the whole! We think that’s Perfect!
Kristy and Me at Donna Dolphy Salon

The Donna! with us

Donna takes me back to the sinks, runs her fingers thru my hair and exclaims “Good God Girl, your roots! I can’t let you walk out of here with roots! Please just let me fix that up for you, I want you to be perfect when you leave her!” (okay, so this is where I'm thinking, Elisa must have called Donna, because she would say the same thing, AND Elisa’s husband would Tony drop to the floor for a full out ROTFLMAO episode - I’m going to be perfect!). He would say, “Donna, there just ain’t enough time!”   LOL

Let’s just say, Kristy and I were made to feel like salon divas, more lattes and hands on our heads than we’d ever dreamed of. We had a lovely afternoon, during which we were texting back and forth with Jess, sharing in-progress pictures. Our friend, Hilda, had come to Jess’ place to do her hair for her today too. Thanks to Craig, the hair magician, who supplied the products (Craig was busy with the Wizard of Oz cast, as he is the Head of Hair (sorry Craig, couldn’t resist) for the show, playing at the Mirvish Theatre until the end of March.
in-process

Pampered to Perfection!

Jess re-beautified by Hilda!

Hilda did a wonderful job of taming Jess’ roots (I had started greeting her with “Hi Ho Silver!”) and Kristy and I left Donna Dolphy feeling...get this Tony...perfect! Na, na, na-na-na.


Carman was impressed (and relieve) when I got home - he was afraid he’d be living with me in a Sinead O’Connor buzz for the next 6 months. When he asked before I left, “How short are you going to let them cut it?”, I told him “as short as it takes to match Kristy”...


4 comments:

  1. Sooooo how long did that take I mean to make you beautiful Na, na, na-na-na Did you close the shop up you.......Tony

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, ha - we spent the afternoon there, but the beautification only took a nananananosecond!
      Love ya, Smartie Pants

      Delete
  2. Hey! I see that she got her hair coloured while wearing Oxygen! Did the salon give her trouble? The salon I went to refused to colour my hair because I was wearing oxygen. SO MAAD!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi LC - sorry to hear you had problems. The staff were all very supportive and had no problem doing our styles & colours while my friend was still using her oxygen (no open flame in use for scented candles, etc). Keep in mind that medications can have an adverse effect on hair colour (or vice versa) so its always a good idea to check with the prescribing doctor or pharmacist before colouring your hair. All the best!

      Delete