Thursday, 21 February 2013

Post-Transplant - Day Six has Its Ups & Downs


20Feb
Yesterday marked the day that signals the start of the approach of spring...winter protests its own passing with a few final weeks of blasting us with frigid winds, cloudy dull days mingled with brilliant blue sky days so bright they catch your breath and make you shield your eyes from the sun’s brilliance...and Tim Hortons starts its annual Roll up the Rim campaign!

This morning Carman was delivered of a breakfast tray offering a nice bowl of steaming cream of wheat. He took one look at the bowl and, well, let’s just say this is not on his list of favourite foods. For that matter, its not even on the list of items he dislikes but still considers edible! I happen to love it, but take no offense at his nose wrinkling. I simple head to one of the two Timmy’s outlets in the hospital and acquire a sausage & egg breakfast sandwich on toasted English Muffin to go with his first cup of real coffee!

He gratefully devours said sandwich and savors slow sips of the scalding brew before eagerly rolling up the rim to reveal this:

It turns out his run of luck continues this week, when Danica shows up with a Purrell container for his IV pole - complete with Neon Ping snap-on holder! Now he has bling as he speeds around the corridors. his neon kicks don’t quite fit yet, so he must take his constitutionals in his boring brown slippers. Following a major surgery (like, say a lung transplant) it is common for fluid to build in the tissues, and Carman is no exception - although he has been more fortunate than manny in the regard too...the team is treating him with meds to help reduce fluids (which ironically means he must drink more) so his “cankles” are bigger than normal but not huge by any standard.


As a treat he had a brief but wonderful reunion with his Squat Squad Buddies (Mark & Jess at the hospital for appointments today), so we slipped the kicks on as far as they would go for a photo op, then grabbed a thumbs up pic of them - now all sporting colourful kicks and new lungs! This was a great boost for Carman, to see his Buddies walk into his room, chat, laugh and share their surgical war stories - all of them without the need for oxygen assistance. He was feeling pretty darn good...


Mark, Jess & Carman

And then, lunch was delivered.

If there is anything that can beat cream of wheat on the wouldn’t touch it with a ten foot pole scale, its Mac & Cheese. That’s exactly what was lurking under the lid on the lunch tray. Thank goodness Max had made some wraps which we packaged and put in the unit fridge for Carman. he took one look at the Ham & Swiss, and Turkey & Brie 1/2 wraps and declared “Max made these so I know they’re gonna be good!” He at 2 halves and sent the M&C packing...back to the kitchen.

The day just got better when he was treated to a sponge bath with the Ready Bath towlettes which claim to Clean, Moisturize, Condition and Soothe - all in one application! I think the best part for him was having his back done, it’s been very sore since the day he spent in a chair and the night spent on a stretcher, last Wednesday. He would tell you it was worth it though for the prize that followed.

Next came a shave, a change of sleep pants and Johnny jacket and he felt like a new guy, ready to roam the halls once more.

The biggest downside of today was that Carman elected to forgo a full dose of pain meds, deciding to dial it back to see how his body would manage. It wasn’t too bad until early evening and by then, it had gotten away on him. The problem with managing post-surgical pain is that once you start to feel it, you’ve passed the magic moment for taking the meds. They will help once you do take them, but you must endure a couple of hours of heavy pain until they kick in. Given the amount of walking he is doing, he has decided to take the full amount prescribed for the time being.

The challenge is striking a balance between being comfortable enough to walk and cough, both of which help push the accumulated fluids out, and being too medicated which will reduce the urge to cough.
Inhaling with the incentive spirometer to
help expand the newly installed blowers
He is consciously coughing on a regular basis, working with his incentive spirometer and also did 5 walks around the units - some double and some triple laps - all of this while talking and its only Day 6!


Go Carman!

11 comments:

  1. Give Carman my love!!! Tell him that I'm so proud of him!!! He's rocking this new blower!!! (Fat ankles and all...)

    And on the pain thing - yes, many of us try to man-up and wean off of the pain meds - and I guess we have to do that... There are so many bad side effects, constipation being a HUGE one - keep on top of the colace! - becoming a loopy idiot after a little too long on them is another... And it's difficult to judge when to take it so that the pain doesn't get away from you... I'd be a little generous with myself right now - it makes sleep better and has a lot of benefits... Even ask the docs or nurses when THEY think you're over doing it...

    You take care, Pam - I'm very happy for you and Carman!!! Give Jess a hug for me when you see her!!!

    Love, Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Steve - we appreciate the voice of experience! It really is such a balancing act, one you have to learn as you go. We so appreciate your messages, and yes, I'll definitely be giving Jess a little gentle squeeze for you! That's a whole other issue - greetings - and how best to handle them. No shaking hands, hugging or for that matter much close contact at all for now. Our visitors are restricted to family at the moment and some of our transplant friends have dropped by when in for appointments. They all know the drill for hygiene and protecting the patient but we've been surprised by some of the staff...I guess they are so used to the protocols that they don't even think about it anymore. Yes they hand wash and all, but when Carman offers a knuckle bump instead of a full hand shake they aren't sure what to do...gives him a smile to explain though. As one of our friends said "we thought our hands were going to dry up and drop off, we used so much purell and did so much hand washing when Mom got her transplant".
    I truly think this has a HUGE impact - we've both been cold-free foe over a year now and I'm sure it has to do with hand washing because if there is anywhere to catch something its in the hospital hallways!
    I am shocked to see people bring infants to visit in this environment, as much for the sake of the patient as for this tiny person who is just building an immune system.
    Thanks for letting me rank (like you had any choice), thanks for following us and for your continued support - I can't say enough thank yous!!!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey PJ!!!

      The way people act regarding hygene and sanitation drives me bat$hit sometimes... And sometimes they may be VERY aware of all of the issues with germs/bugs and other people - but don't feel THEY are carrying anything around...

      And I feel the same as you about proper hygene keeping us from getting a lot of the colds, flus and bugs that go around - I'm lucky that way too...

      And - Carman is at his most vulnerable for the next several months. And, conveniently, that matches with your appropriately high state of paranoia right now... Over the next several months, they will likely (slightly) reduce his immunosuppression and, at the same time, you'll be relaxing your caution slightly - dropping your guard a bit and acting a little more towards the norm of sanitation and hygene...

      One of our bug-dudes ("infectious disease professionals") once explained to me that this is all an issue of proliferation - that we will be constantly exposed to certain levels of bugs, and we kinda need some of that exposure to keep our immune systems tweaked and ready to fight... But we don't want them to proliferate and cause them to overwhelm our immunity or our current immune levels...

      Carman, Jess and I add a level of complexity in that we don't want our immune system excited too much, as we don't want it to suddenly recognize the part of us that is not us - so, it's an incredible balancing act...

      I don't know where the line is... I have friends who seem to live in a bubble and seem WAY too cautious with elbow bumps or only waves - some of them never get sick, some of them seem in and out of trouble... I have friends that seem to live in squallor - same thing, some are never sick and others I want to say, "I told you so..."

      The first year, I was incredibly cautious - in that "appropriately high state of paranoia" - as that started waning, I now shake hands often, and I'm a HUGE hugger (I think hugging might be less compromising than shaking hands - as long as you're not french-kissing along with is...) I also wash my hands regularly, avoid sick folks, use Purell regularly, keep my hands from my eyes, nose, mouth, and generally behave. We may never know whether I'm incredibly lucky, or my immune system is up and avoiding my new parts, or my new parts are just that good of a match, or what... Although I'd like to go with the idea that I'm an incredibly complaint, carefull patient - I'm going with I'm lucky right now...

      As for infants - that might be a puzzlement. I know that I tend to avoid the little germ factories - but does this environment strengthen them, and build their immune response? Or does it overwhelm it? I don't have the knowledge or experience to provide an answer to that. My gut feel is that, especially if the little being has an active bug - it's probably more dangerous for us than for the infant...

      And you can rank to me anytime you want. And if you've been cold-free for a year - I would definitely keep up your current practices!!!

      Love, Steve

      Delete
  3. I love my boys! Our kicks are smoking hawt. I'm so proud of Carman and so incredibly grateful for you PJ. Love you guys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your Boys love you to Squeege, even if you frustrate them by pushing too hard sometimes...even if you occasionally forget your promise to pay attention to your body and rest when it feels fatigued. Those things make you the you we love though!
      xo

      Delete
  4. You're looking good Carman!

    PS - Number 2 on the list of things Rosemary wants to steal from Carman: your flashy shoes. Number 1 is still the iPad ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Roe, we'll just keep making you jealous and adding to the list until we fill a shipping crate!
      Hope your trip was awesome...

      Delete
  5. Hearing about Carmen's new lungs was such great news to receive from my dad. I am so glad to hear about how well his recovery is going, and wish you both well in the rest of the recovery. It sounds like he is off to a terrific start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your good wishes, Heidi! Carman is off to a great start, wearing out the lino on the flooring here in the unit. Your encouragement means so much to us.
      Hugs,

      Delete
  6. Hello Folks!
    Fred passed on the great news and I just wanted to drop a quick note to y'all wishing everybody the best from all of us at the clinic. Do give us a call and drop in when you get to town. All the very best, Shawn Chapin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Shawn, So great to hear from you and thanks so much for your well wishes! We will be letting you know when we are able to come to town (in fact, we'll be looking to book an appointment so be ready!). Please say hi to Mom, Penny, Jim & Shawna for us!

      Delete