13-14Oct
Saturday morning I got some Teddy time when he and I went for a nice walk. We ended up at Allen Gardens Park checking the current squirrel and pigeon populations (he desperately trying to relieve me of an arm and chase all of them to the nether regions of the world). We returned to rouse Dj and Matt, then left Teddy in charge (he is an extraordinary supervisor of sleeping dudes, as he proved on Friday evening - see photo). The 3 of us headed out to the St. Lawrence Market to forage for food for the weekend. Matt has planned a special birthday dinner for Danica and I on Sunday...
Our trip is successful and included a scrumptious brunch at one of the food counters there - smelts for me; crab cakes for Dj and mussels for Matt!
We discover a booth that specializes in mustards so pick up some Extra Spicy for
Matt, triple crunch for Dj and I and a Smokey variety for Max. Then across the aisle to a great cheese place and where we pick up some Niagara Gold, 18 yr old cheddar and apple-pear-ginger chutney and the taste buds start to water...a quick stop to pick up a few oysters for Matt and I to have with out martini break tomorrow, a lovely pork roast, some double smoked bacon and the requisite butter tarts for Dad. From the sidewalk vendors we purchase cranberries, brussel sprouts, broccoli, rainbow carrots, beets, apples, raspberries a yam and some fresh herbs...(and a treat for Teddy from one of the butchers). Oh Baby...we’re getting hungry just anticipating the flavours!
We’ve decided on a movie Saturday night - so have a light supper (to leave room for popcorn) and brave the rain, heading down to the theatre district to catch Argo, which we all liked. I especially enjoyed Alan Arkin and John Goodman - I think they “stole the show”.
On Sunday Dj and I head down to the Future Shop on Yonge St. I need to pick up an adapter for my computer so Carman can stream football games to the TV with the HD cable my sister shipped from home. I also pick up extra printer cartridges as I want to print off some of our photos, which takes a lot of ink. We head to the Eaton Centre as we want to check out the sale at Old Navy and score some t-shirts for the guys, a sweater each and a couple of tanks. By now, we need to head home to see if Matt needs any assistance in the kitchen :o)
On our way, he texts and asks us to pick up a couple of things so we drop into the MLG Loblaws to grab them as it’s right on our way. While there we purchase a grocery stroller, as we found the one that was in the condo is a bit of a challenge...the handle is too short for any of us, so it’s hard on the back to pull it any distance. Up to now I’ve opted to carry whatever I buy, since I’d rather walk than drive to the market or grocery store, so this will be a big help when I need to pick up Boost or G2, which are heavy.
Matt has dinner well in hand by the time we get back, and like me, has applied his McGyver Cooking 101 skills and either found the tools he needed or improvised with whatever is available in our little kitchen. The aromas are initiating a Pavlov response in each of us, including Teddy, who keeps a close eye on anyone who enters the kitchen - in case they drop something he could pick up for them, of course! He even helps me keep an eye on the Yorkshire Puddings for Matt...periodically peeking in the oven window to see them turning a beautiful golden brown. Oh Baby...the anticipation!
We take a break in the cooking and football action to tune into the jump attempt that Felix Baumgartner is attempting from the stratosphere...as the seconds count down to his jump I can’t decide whether or not to watch, but I can’t help attempting a photo op of his view from the capsule prior to jumping! This is a crazy, scary, what are you thinking, kind of activity to engage in but I almost think the view from there would be enough to get him to try it! We are relieved and excited for him that he was successful and landed safely and I can’t imagine any other result.
Safely on the ground, touching terra firma!
Shortly before dinner is ready, we present the boys with the new shirts we’ve bought them and request that they “dress for dinner” tonight. They groan, but oblige us and look especially dapper I’d say.
Thank you Matt - it was heavenly!
![]() |
| Teddy enjoys his butcher's bone |
![]() |
| Cuddle Time |
| Sunday - there's a nap for that! |





No comments:
Post a Comment