16Oct
This morning we are working with one pot of coffee (I filled the machine before the water was turned off) and a jug from which I can heat pots of water as needed. They are doing plumbing work in the building so between 9am and 5pm we’ll have No Water. Have you ever noticed how many times a day you turn a tap on? Especially in the kitchen when trying to do meal prep - never mind how many steps in the cooking process you need the water, think of how often you wash your hands while selecting, washing (ha, ha) chopping, dicing, etc.
We manage thru the morning, (Carman finds that staying in bed is the best bet against any inconvenience) it reminds me of my tenting days - before campgrounds had water and electrical hook-ups at every site. I leave a thermos of hot water and a damp washcloth in a bag (that he can nuke - like the hot towels they used to give you before a meal on a Wardair flight). On his nightstand, I place a bowl of cereal and a bowl of ice containing a Boost and a small pitcher of milk for his cereal along with his pill container, oxymeter, pager, cell phone and cordless phone. And I head out to the Eaton Centre. I’m off to see if I can find another fancy t-shirt for our friend Mark.
He and Carman will be interviewed, watched and prodded, by a group of 1st year physiotherapy students visiting at the Treadmill Room today. We’ve decided it would be nice if they dressed up for the occasion.
When I arrive at the store I find only a short stack of the style I want and luckily I’m able to sort thru it and come up with one in Mark’s size. You can judge for yourself, but I think they are quite the dapper dudes!
| Mark, Carman & Jess The Squat Squad! |
![]() |
| Carman & Mark |
Mark continues with his program, patiently waiting his turn but after awhile wonders what they can be doing that takes so long. I remind him that its Carman, there are at least 3 female students in the group, so its probably hug therapy that’s delaying his return. I, on the other hand, am looking or something to do, so start helping other patients & support peeps do equipment wipe downs. At one point Jim and I and another woman all arrive at the same time, Virox wipes in hand, squabbling over who gets to clean the bike (we’re all bored). I joke that if needed, we could start on the windows and baseboards next...not that they are dirty, just to have something to do.
Carman finally returns and Mark heads for his interview. Because he has done the walk today, Carman can skip either the bike or tread so decides he’ll just cut the treadmill time by half and do the rest of his program. By the time he gets to the treadmill at the end, he says he’s feeling pretty good so does the full 20 minutes. He really really wants that cafe mocha today!
This also means that he cat naps in the chair for awhile when we get home, then moves to the bed for some serious napping! I’ve missed my yoga class, but can do a make up at the late session, so head out to do that at 6:20 (thankfully, I just have to go downstairs).
I get back around 8, so we have a light supper and I check electronic communications, to find that our friend Hélène had updated her blog! She has been following doctor’s orders to fill her time with lots of R&R with family and hasn’t blogged in a couple of months, so it’s great to get caught up. Her blog post is here - Lung Story
We think about you everyday Hélène!
Things I've seen around town...
![]() |
| National Ballet School |
![]() |
| Funky Chess on Yonge St. |
![]() |
| hmm, these shoes were left on the planter at the corner near us How did those feet get home? |




No comments:
Post a Comment