Monday, 2 July 2012

Brunch at The Blake, Pride Parade & You Can’t Get There From Here!


01Jul 
Jen & Max  had planned to come for a visit today, so we suggested they arrive in time for brunch at the Blake House and then come back for a visit. It was definitely not a good day to drive in so they used transit. With all of the weekend festivities going on, several of the streets in our area were closed to vehicles so traffic was snarled pretty good. 
Carman was down to the last of a couple of his meds, so I thought I’d head to the Eaton Centre while they visited, grab what he needed and do a couple of other errands in the mix. I told Jen I’d be doing a there-and-back trip and when they were ready to leave, just to call me and I’d make sure I headed right back. Carman has run his O2 out a couple of times in the last week, so isn’t being left alone right now. In fact, when I got back he asked me if I’d put them up to staying while I was out - to which I said, “ablsolutely!”...and with Jennifer in agreement with me, he didn’t argue...
The Pride Parade was scheduled to run at 2pm so I knew I’d have to chose my route to the Eaton Centre carefully. I headed out with confidence, armed with the knowledge of which streets in our immediate area were open only to pedestrians. Once I got to Yonge & Carlton, the blockade was already up so I couldn’t cross to the west side of Yonge. Not to be outdone by a parade, I headed down the east side of the street (remember, no vehicles) only to be brought up short at Gerard, which was also blocked as this was a turning point for the parade. I headed back up Yonge thinking, I’ll just go around to Church or Jarvis and cut down. No such luck...when I got back to Carlton and Church I noticed the beginnings of the parade passing the intersection down the street (at Gerard). Not giving up yet, I headed back to Carlton & Yonge and waited for the street car (I had noticed that there were TTC staff maning the blockades and they were halting the parade periodically to allow the street cars to maintain service). Not having the proper change, I just dumped $4 into the fee box and declined the transfer offered by the driver. I thanks him and said I didn’t need one since I was only going a block. “Just one block?” he replies in disbelief. “Yes,” I said, “its the only way to get across Yonge at the moemnt”. So, mission accomplished, I got across Yonge, exited the street car at Bay and headed down Bay to Dundas and shortly thereafter arrived at the Eaton Centre...my 15 minute walk had only taken by 50!  It’s true what they say...sometimes you can’t get there from here...but if you’re really, really persistent...
Needless to say, I didn't get the list of errands completed, as I had to get back home in time for Jen & Max to have any hope of seeing the sights before heading home. I headed up the west side of Yonge, becoming intimately close to my hundreds of new friends lining the street along the way! They were 5 or 6 deep along the curb which didn’t leave much room for those of us trying to move along the street, never mind the baby buggies! At Yonge and College I stepped into the Tim Hortons to grab an iced tea (and get correct change) for my return street car crossing. Just before the car came along the block the parade ended and the baracades were removed, so I was able to strike out on foot again! I got back just in time to catch Jen & Max at the corner outside our building, so got to thank them for Dad-sitting and wish them well on their downtown tour!
Happy Canada Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment