Sunday, 8 July 2012

A Trip to London


05-08Jul
Physio was very quiet on Thursday and we were excited to hear that Donny might get the ok to go home for the weekend. Al was in to visit with Jane and brought her up to the Treadmill room (she's been in hospital since she came in May). Alas her O2 sats are so low right now she was only able to stay a short time.
It took me about 40 minutes including transit time (4 trips up and down in the elevator) to get the car packed for our trip to London. Omar had filled our 20L liquid tank on Wed.; I brought 3 E-tanks as backup in case of a freze-up with the liquid (very hot weather this weekend) along with the concentrator to use overnight, our overnight bags, the essentials bag (granola bars, Ensure, coffee, bananas, etc. so Carman would have food with his meds); put the Rollator in the back seat, laid the suit bag over top of it (with all the wonderful German engineering in Volkswagen products, they suck big time when it comes to the hangar hook for a suit bag...there is a hook there but it’s integrated in the “holy shit handle” and I’ve yet to find any type of hangar that will stay on it!) piled us in the front and we’re off!
We were pleasantly surprised by the traffic (now aroud 5pm), slow but moving on the Gardener and once we got to the 427 & 401 we moved along very well. I asked Carman if he’d like to stop at the Pioneer BBQ in Cambridge for supper and he said “No thanks, I’m fine.” So then I said, “We’re going to stop for supper, would you prefer Pioneer or something else?”
The Pioneer pulled pork sandwich is a long time favourite of ours (he finished all of his before I was little more than half done) and we even had Nicki as our server (she has worked there awhile, and we’d sat in her section many times before moving east).
It was a beautiful evening, perfectly clear sky and we as we drove along we kept one eye on the temperature gauge as it continued to rise the closer we got to London. We rolled into the city and arrived at Barb & Randy’s around 9 - it was still 28C. They were gone to the cottage and gave us free reign of the Granny suite - which is a perfect place for us (no stairs).
I got Carman inside and hooked up the concentrator so he could rest, then unpacked the car and had a chance to read a note from Barb, check out the photos of their beautiful grandkids she had left for us, and enjoy a nice cold iced tea (thanks Barb!).

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE pulled pork!! I can't wait to try what you brought back for me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that you have your appetite back!!! Yeah!

    ReplyDelete