Saturday, 4 August 2012

We're Outta Here...for the day!


04Aug
It is Caribana’s final weekend so we know downtown will be hot and hopping! With an estimated 1 million revelers  expected to line the streets and fill Exhibition Stadium for the grand parade, we think getting out of the city will be a good plan! We’re going to take Jess & Brad with us for the day.

A picnic lunch is in order, so I decide to make a Quinoa Salad with Asian dressing and Thai Chicken sandwiches, both will transport well enough in the cooler bag and served cold, will be refreshing. Jess will get Brad to break out the beaters and whip us up some super delicious cupcakes for our dessert.
We head out around 1pm, right after we watch Canada’s Bronze winning cycle race at the Velodrome - hooray! since the Caribana festivities will be along the Lakeshore, I decided we should avoid the southwest area all together so have picked Heart Lake Park in Brampton for our little expedition. It’s about 50 minutes away and takes us through a number of areas that Brad & Jess haven’t been to before. We head along Bloor St. and Carman is charged with watching the left side, while Brad watches the right for a Starbucks so we can get a travel bevy. On the way, we spot my pearl white Lamborghini parked at the curb in Yorkville (Jess’ red one was in the underground garage at the time). At Albany, we find a Starbucks on the corner, where I can pull to the curb easily. Jess & Brad hopped out (yes, Jess is very motivated by her tall blonde hazelnut coffee, and really did hop out) to go in and make the purchase. A chai latte for me, you know what for Jess and cafe mocha-frappa-crappas (with no whip) for Carman and Brad...and we’re off!
The thermometer on the dash reads 35.5C and the humidity has climbed past 70%, thank goodness for air conditioning in the vehicle!  It’s about a 50 minute drive to our destination and then about 20 minutes scouting out a place to park, where we won’t have to walk too far to a spot for our picnic. We find a nice shaded spot near the pool and splash pad area but close to the woods and there is even a nice breeze from time to time. I’m sure it’s only about 32C here!
I served up our picnic lunch and we got down to some serious snacking with cold drinks, 
a sandwich (each labelled to identify individual condiment preferences), 
some salad and 
a (slightly melted) cupcake for each of us.




 After our lunch I scouted out the trail to the lake. It turns out to be about 200 steps down a winding path to the water, but it’s much hotter and no shade available near the water. Even though Brad and I assured Carman and Jess that we would piggy back them back up the hill later, consensus is to stay where we are. I had a blanket to sit on and everyone else had chairs so we had our picnic laptop style.

Around 5:30 the park starts to clear out a bit, so we’re able to scoop a picnic table and settle in for a rousing game of Uno Spin (thanks Alex & Birdie for the loan of the game!). Much to Jess’ disappointment, Brad is declared the big winner (he always wins, no matter what the game)...so there’s nothing left to do now but head home.
I took the 410 to 401 on the way back so we could drive parallel to Pearson Airport. This afforded us the opportunity to watch countless planes approaching for landing or just taking off one after the other! Jess tried to get a photo but the other drivers were not amenable to us making a photo stop - imagine! Traffic was good coming into the city along Allen Rd. so we made good time. At the light on Eglinton we gave a shout out to a couple of ladies returning from Caribana, resplendent in their very colourful costumes (lime green, rainbow sequins and red feathers were what I noticed while pulling around the corner), Brad said they shook what their Momma’s gave them in appreciation of our noticing them. A few blocks later, eureeka! we spotted another Starbucks. A quick little vehicular maneuver puts us in a parking lot right across the street. Brad and I hop out and secure a repeat order for the four of us, to fuel us the rest of the way home.
We arrive at their condo building just in time to meet Jasper, returning from his walk...he is a 5 month old Wheaton Terrier and I am in love! Carman is shaking his head and groaning in the front seat while I’m out playing with Jasper in the driveway. I reluctantly break it off and have hugs with Brad and Jess...and the heavens promptly open up to deposit 1/4 cup sized rain drops on us. By the time they get inside and I get back in the car, it’s pouring! Wow, did we time that right. 
Thanks for a Funtastic Day!
Carman and I got home just after 8pm and I’ve been enjoying the terrific lightening show, while catching up on our medal run at the Olmpics today - go Canada!

2 comments:

  1. We had such a great day; thanks so much for hauling our butts around!Delicious lunch you made.

    Couple of points:

    1.Just wait till we play games again - Brad WILL go down!
    2. Pamela - you are sleeping in that last picture. Were we really that boring???!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love it when you use your Princess voice and get all assertive...yes, we will take Brad on in short order, don't you worry!

    Sleeping - hell no, I was so giddy with fun it gave me squinty eyes!

    ReplyDelete