Friday, 10 August 2012

Birthday Greetings for Tyler!


09Aug
Well today is our nephew, Tyler’s, birthday and I was late mailing his card to him so texted him to send big happy wishes and let him know to watch for it. Then, I went on Facebook and wrote a Happy Birthday message on his wall...and wished him a happy 1/4 century...which he hasn’t yet reached. Today he turned 23!

This is the third birthday I’ve gotten wrong in 3 weeks! And anyone who knows me will tell you I’m very organized with all this stuff...There can be only one reasonable explanation - all this Ontario humidity has melted my brain! Well, that’s my story and I’m sticking with it!

I just happened to be opening the blinds to drag Carman out of bed this morning (after all my FB fun with wrong birhtdays!) and saw someone out in the laneway practicing his stilt walking. A very good effort considering how uneven the cobblestones are!

Our good friend Brad went home to NS for a couple of days to be with his friends and the family of his best friend, Liam, who passed away this week at the age of 37. Liam was a very special man and as head of Basketball Nova Scotia, much respected in the community. We offer our sympathies to his family and friends in their time of mourning.

With Brad gone, we assured him we would take care of Jess and Griffin. We picked Jess up and headed to Physio for the afternoon, where she did another 6 minute walk (you’ll recall from earlier blogs that these take about 6 minutes to do) and while the number of meters covered dropped since her last walk, she gave it the Olympic effort. In fact our PT told her to slow down a couple of times because she didn’t want her to pass out in the hall!

Jess & Carman had great form on their stretches and weights today, under the watchful eye of me, also known around The Treadmill Room as Atilla (thanks a lot Jim!). I had only one eye on them as I was also spotting form for Al (pre) and Brian (post transplant). Everyone even did an excellent job on the always dreaded and hotly hated squats!


Now the bad news from an otherwise outstanding workout, was that I caught Jess talking while on the bike, in fact 4 times I caught her chatting - with Al! They are both pre-transplant and forbidden to chat while biking as it expends far too much energy, which should be reserved for the workout! The first time I let it slip and gave her a warning, but how could I retain my integrity and not fine her after the 4th time? I even had to lend her the toonie to put in the Toonies for Talking Tin...she and Carman are costing me a fortune!

After Physio, I left the two of them to attend to the Starbucks treats - chai tea for me, a Tall Blonde Hazelnut for Jess, and you know it - the fabulous cafe-mocha-frappa-crappa (no whip) for Carman, and I headed to get the car.

On the way home we stopped to pick up Griffin, and made a quick pitstop at the MLG Loblaws, leaving Griffin to watch-dog Carman in the car while Jess and I huffed and puffed our way thru the store to gather just a couple of provisions. It was her first visit there, so I’m glad I got to be with her for the experience!

After getting Carman settled comfortably in front of our-direct-feed-from-London Olympics broadcast, we headed out in the rain to give Griffin a little run in the park nearby. Carman lent Jess his Rollator, so we made quite a stylish group all decked in grey, black, navy and red! We returned home a little soggy, but satisfied and Griffin was up 4 new city friends!


Dinner was simple, a spinach salad with rosemary focaccia and balsamic dip, roasted potatoes and yams, chicken and broccoli. Roger, I know you’ll be excited and pleased to know your girl cleaned her plate...of firsts and seconds (without passing anything to the guy next to her to finish)!


After dinner, I took Jess on the tour of our building, including an introduction to squash (just watching some other residents play) and hanging out in the weight room for some eye candy.



A good day was had by all, but my breathless buddies were pooped by bedtime! Tomorrow’s Physio will be a challenge...

No comments:

Post a Comment