Friday, 14 September 2012

Code Red & Meeting Friends


11Sep
Today is the 11th year after the terrorist attack in the US, I can remember clearly where I was (basement boardroom at the Central Ave branch in London) and what I was doing (facilitating a training session for staff from our various branches) when the second plane hit at the twin towers. There was a knock on the door and my friend Roula asked if we were using the tv at the time, there was a report of an attack in New York and they wanted to see if there was any news coverage. We were all stunned and I have to say, every time I think about it or see the many images, I’m still stunned by it...and saddened by the continued loss of many innocent lives as the war goes on.

Today also marks our 3rd month on the transplant list and we experienced our first code red just after finishing Physio today. We were at the top of the ramp in the link where Carman was preparing for another attempt and a Rollator ride down the ramp (his goal is to get all the way down the ramp and around the corner without doing a 180 or stopping - or crashing!)

We made our way to the elevator hall and prepared to wait for news on the PA. From the code red call I knew the issue was on the first floor, in the northwest of the building and we know there is construction going on there, so are hopeful it’s some heat induced false alarm...as 5 fire service trucks pull up the the front door and curb area on University Ave.

a few of the responders...

While we wait, a couple of staff come by and realizing the elevators are down for the alarm, head to the other wing to catch an elevator there. Easy for them...two of us waiting are ambulatory, one in a wheel chair, Carman with his Rollator and an elderly lady dependent on her cane. For us the stairs are a no go, and so we weigh the distance to the other elevators (and then retracing our steps on the ground floor as the exit we need is directly below us) or waiting it out til the elevators in front of us go back in service. 

We decide to wait and get to know one another...just as another woman comes along. I explain our dilemma and mention the other elevators are working and she decides to wait with us. She notices the CHEO crest on my shirt (a gift from Dj) and asks if I’m a nurse. I reply to the negative but that our daughter is and she tells us she is now in sales but was a PICU nurse at Sick Kids here in TO for 23 years. Which prompts the lady in the wheel chair (also in the transplant program with us) to reveal the she is retired from nursing which leads the lady with the cane to smile and tell us she nursed and is retired from teaching nursing! The things you learn when you just ask a question...

This makes us a bit late to our next appointment... - Carman and Heather are about to have their first face-to-face meeting!

Carman & Heather
We have a great time sharing stories, getting caught up with Heather’s current treatment experiences and checking out The Rock! (well done Sean!). As you can imagine, Heather is very anxious to get this rejection business taken care of and get home to start planning her wedding! Alas, with the extra wait for the elevator, we are running low on oxygen so after about 45 minutes, must cut our visit short, with a promise that there will be more...

No comments:

Post a Comment