24Sep - Monday
Monday - Our nephew Mark, is coming to be Carman’s support person and Physio coach today. I am headed to The Summit Golf & Country Club to join my fellow Greenhills Past Captains and participate in the Golf Fore the Cure National Event. This is a tournament for teams from across Canada, who’s events this year raised record funds for the cause.
I chose Golf Fore the Cure as the Past Captain’s event in my last year at London the course, before moving east. The ladies have continued to blast past the fund raising goal each consecutive year, surpassing the $24,000 mark this year and placing 2nd in Canada! this earned them an invitation to the National Event, and they have invited me to join them!
I started the morning off by making sure Carman was set for the day, then dropping by Brad & Jessica’s place to pick him up and deliver him to Pearson. Sadly (for us here in TO) he is headed back home today, having come just for a long weekend visit. The boys will be anxious to see him when he picks them up after school today.
| Pauline & Pamela |
I then hooked up with the ladies for a bit of breakfast before heading to the course. Imagine my surprise, when I walked into the locker room and the first person I meet is my NB neighbour, Pauline! She and her husband, Mike, winter in the south, so we hadn’t seen each other since December, when they came to our place for dinner before heading south. It turns out she was playing on one of the two New Brunswick teams invited to the National Tournie.
To top that, when we were assembled by the convenor for a group shot, we met the second team from NB and one of their members was a friend, Mary, whom I haven’t seen since grade school! What a start to the event...I can’t say that we played especially well - in fact as the temperature dropped throughout the afternoon, our muscles froze (literally) and our game tanked. But we had great fun together and kept warm with many laughs!
![]() |
| Mavis, Lynn & Janet chill out while waiting to tee off! |
The golf was followed by dinner and awards, then presentation of a cheque to the Canadian Cancer Society for just over $396,000 (this year’s funds to-date with still more coming in)! What a great way to encourage women to participate in golf, have fun and raise funds all at the same time. A big thanks to sponsors Subaru, Best Health & Molson Canadian for the lovely gifts we were given as participants! A special thanks to sponsor Celine Dionne, who donated two VIP tickets to her Vegas show at Ceasar’s Palace. These were one of the prized in the raffle draw, and guess who held the winning ticket?...Post-transplant destination!
![]() |
| Greenhills Ladies Team - Mavis, Lynn, Pamela & Janet |
Carman and Mark had a great day together too - the food I left for them was eaten as directed, they made it to Physio and completed the full program and spent the early evening together. Even though I wasn’t there to witness it, I am certain they came to an understanding at Physio because Mark’s notation for the day, on the Physio card, said “Less Argumentative”.
Well done Mark, words alone can't express my sincere thanks for filling in for me today! Hugs!


Go team Mark and Carman! Maybe Mark has another calling - a personal trainer!
ReplyDeleteYou may be onto something Roe!
Delete