Tuesday, 20 November 2012

Remembering


11Nov - Remembrance Day 
Carman is up early today - around 10:30 and although he feels much better than yesterday, is still not 100%. I decide to forgo the service at Queens Park and turn on the TV to watch the Remembrance ceremony from Ottawa. It’s a beautiful day, nice and warm for our veteran’s march, a good day to pause and reflect on how lucky we are to live in this great country - and to be thankful for the service, both past and present of our armed forces. Without their sacrifice, our lives would be very different!

                                                     ~      ~      ~      ~
I am also remembering my Aunt Betty Hubbard, who passed away today. Betty has been leaving us for some time now, as she was diagnosed with Alzeimer’s and hasn’t fared well since having a stroke last year. To us nieces and her nephews, she has always been our Aunt Betty Hubbard (including her surname anytime she has been mentioned, was something my Mom started from the time Betty married her sweetheart, Mel) and half of our favourite aunt & uncle team. Mel could tell the best stories ever, he made taking out the trash sound like an exciting adventure, while Betty would admonish him for the exaggerated nature of each narrative. They made a wonderful pair and I’m comforted by the knowledge that they’ll be sharing stories together again.

                                                     ~      ~      ~      ~


Our niece, Carrie, and her husband, Marco are coming in from Oakville this afternoon for a visit, so I decide to put on a pot of chicken soup for supper, it can simmer while we visit for the afternoon. Carman settles in to watch some football, while I entertain myself in the kitchen, chopping chicken and various vegetables and tossing them in the pot with some fresh herbs and broth. While I’m at it, I slice some peppers and cuke, then warm some brie and top it with some Mrs. Brydges Apple Pear Ginger conserve (scraping the bottom of the jar so will have to get some more at the market). A few assorted crackers and we have a snack for the football game.

Carrie and Marco arrive in the midst of the chopping, bearing gifts for us. A lovely bottle of Pinot Grigio for moi, and a box of (yes, multiple) pecan tarts for Carman! I think he’s feeling better, and even shares his tarts for dessert after our soup!
Me, Carman, Carrie & Marco

In the early evening, Carman resettles for more football (it’s a Sunday ritual  from 1 til 10pm) and I head over to TGH to visit with Sapna for awhile. Today marks two weeks since Shilpa was called in for her transplant and I can’t imagine where her Mom is getting her energy from. I think she spends about 20 hours a day at TGH (most of that in the waiting room), just to be nearby should Shilpa need her. She leaves only long enough to go home to shower and change, go to temple for prayers and then returns. I keep suggesting that she should come home with me for a couple of hours, or a bland Canadian meal, but she declines. I understand, but will keep trying! 

Jalebi (top)
Chaitra’s friends have come tonight as well, so the five of them are having a great visit. 

When I prepare to head home, Sapna gives me a Diwali gift. Diwali (festival of lights) is on Tuesday but she insists I take my gift early - a small clam shell box with some crunchy (and spicy HOT) noodle snack (I think they are Thenkuzhals, but will have to ask her) along with some very sweet Jalebi - these are hard to resist, even for me and I don’t usually eat dessert.

Thank you Sapna and Happy Diwali Greetings to you!

May this Diwali, illuminate the hearts and minds of all people in our world...


10Nov Dinner Plans with Pasmas Panned!
We’ve been looking forward to Saturday, as we have a date for dinner with Henry & Lynette in Oakville (which we’ve rebooked a couple of times). Carman is really fatigued from his busy week of physio and appointments so sleeps well past noon. When he gets up he is very dizzy.

His sats are fine, but the room just won’t stop spinning around him. He bounces down the hall and settles himself in his chair for awhile to see if this will pass. I call Henry and explain what’s going on and that we’d best stick close to home just to be sure this doesn’t develop into something worse. Again, we’ll re-book our get together and I suggest he could watch for a couple out for a walk in the neighbourhood, then invite them in for our share of the meal.

Carman’s spinning grinds to a halt after awhile, and he says he doesn’t feel bad, but doesn’t feel right either. It’s definitely a stay where we are day today.

No comments:

Post a Comment