Tuesday, 20 November 2012

The Right Equipment, Chance Meetings & Farewell


13Nov
Tuesday is a physio day, but we also have a meeting with Polyana today. Carman will be doing the board test (using the proper oxygen flow level this time) this morning, then we’ll grab a bowl of soup in the food court and head to phsyio.

He aces the test with his non-rebreather mask, keeping his sats above 92 for the entire test and getting his heart rate into the 120s. Polyana congratulates him and then warns him to “do what he’s supposed to do” with regard to his oxygen. She promises that he hasn’t seen the last of her, she’ll be right there when he is discharged post-surgery to do the next set of research tests! I like this woman!


Before heading to the food court, I call Sapna to see if she would like to join us for some lunch, but get voice mail. this must mean she is in with Shilpa, so we head to the food court. While I get the soup Carman heads to look for a table, which is no easy task, since it’s lunch hour for the masses at the moment. I gather the soups and his oj and go looking for him. He has surveyed all the tables in the south annex so I find him in the north hall of the food court. He spots me and waves and while I make my way toward him I notice a gentleman dining solo at a table for four. We make eye contact and hi nods. When I get to Carman I suggest we join a table since there are no empties available. I head to the table with the solo gentleman and ask if he minds if we join him. He agrees and we settle ourselves in. 

We introduce ourselves to Dennis and as typical Canadians, discuss the weather (18C yesterday and 5C today!), then the hospital and eventually get around to why we’re all here. Turns out Dennis is familiar with the pulmonary function tests and all that goes with them, so he and Carman compare notes and frustrations with the testing. Turns out Dennis is a cardiac patient, while Carman of course is a pulmonary patient.

The long and short of this story is, that Dennis is from NB! If that’s not enough karma, he and his family now live along Lake Huron, a spit away from where Carman attended high school and get this...he even knows where Gorrie is! Carman always jokes that when he and his brother left for university the population in Gorrie dropped to 298, so he never expects anyone we meet to have heard of this quaint little village in Huron County.
Dennis & Carman

After lunch we bid Dennis a great day and head up to physio. Jess texted me that she will be late, her Wheel Trans pickup, never arrived, so she had to call a cab at the last minute. I tell her that traffic was beastly when we came to TGH this morning and sadly that turns out to be because of an accident involving a cyclist on Yonge St., leading to street closures.

She arrives in pretty good time, but isn’t looking her best, she has an infection that is really beating down her energy levels. She is fierce though, and does as much of her physio program as she can, while looking like she really should be propped up with pillows in a comfy bed, maybe with a good ole bowl of Gramma’s chicken soup!

She has a little something for me, a card and tiny package from Heather! Its a lovely embossed card and includes a photo of “Milly” & Bruce (Hallowe’en aliases) that will definitely go on the fridge with our collection. The package contains a lovely dragonfly brooch from the Lunenburg area! A big shout of THANKS out to Heather...we miss our UNO Spin and cribbage nights - come back soon!

Today is Allison’s last day in Physio so she agrees to pose with the two challenging charges in the room! Thanks for all your help over the past few weeks Allison - you’ve really made Physio more fun, and all the best in your next rotation!
Allison, Carman & Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment