Wednesday, 28 November 2012

Sibling Support, I Spy & Another Call!


19Nov - Alex & Joyce are both coming today! They arrive via GO Train from opposite directions and knock on our door just in time for brunch. We have time for a good visit before we have to head out for the day. It’s fun to be the observer of sibling stories.

Carman has an appointment with the hematologist at Princess Margaret Hospital right before our Physio time, so I’ll drop them  as near to the door as possible, go park and then meet them in the Treadmill Room at TGH.

Joyce has our binder and has promised to take notes while Carman and Alex listen and the three of them will ask questions as they come to mind.  Due to the presence of antibodies in his system, Carman will require plasmapheresis during and for a few days immediately following his transplant surgery. This will assist in the process of preventing rejection. Dr. B, they report, is very thorough with explanations and answers all of their questions.

Because Carman has 2 coaches today, I will spend my time at TGH to visit with family members of our friends who are in hospital. I have asked them to let me know when they get to the Treadmill Room as Birdie has sent something with Alex this trip and I want to get photos when he gives it to Jess. 

I get a text that they have arrived and head up to meet them. When I get to the Treadmill Room, Carman is on the bike in the midst of his 20 minute pedal. I head to the end of the room to say hi to Carla and Jess and make a sideways glance at his oximeter on the way by. I chat with my friends briefly and then ask one of the PTs if she has a minute to check Carman’s sats for him. She heads right over to do this and I step out into the hall (I know what’s coming). He is at 84%, well below his target of <90%. She asks him to stop pedaling while they chat, she asks a few questions, he knows what she’s getting at and promptly says, “Pamela sent you over here didn’t she?”  This only results in him getting another talking to as he puts it. But wait...

Later in his workout she catches him walking from one end of the room to the other, carrying his tubing. She stops him and says, “Carman, where are you going?”. He replies that he is headed for the wall pulley to do his tricep exercises.  “...and what is this tube attached too while you’re walking?” Again, he knows where this is going!  “Um, nothing.”  He then gets a replay of the explanation he has heard many times about level of blood-oxygen saturation, the high flow of oxygen therapy he is on and the fact that he should be hooked up to a source AT ALL TIMES.

He is contrite and apologies, then says “Ok, for you I’ll make sure I do that.”
To which she replies, “Ahem, this is not for me Carman, it’s for you!”

Enough said...til next time!

Jess finishes her program and has to get going in order to catch her ride home with Wheel Trans. I ask her if she has a minute and can meet me at the bench in the hallway for a chat. She and Carla agree and head there while I round up the troops. Birdie has been hard at work to finish an I Spy quilt for Jess. She knows how much Jess loved the one she made for Carman and has found just the right combination of fabrics to create one that reflects all of Jess’ passions...
A Big Surprise!


Carla, Jess, Alex, Joyce & Carman
Basketball, Baseball, Bowling,
Dartmouth, Monkeys, Stars & Superheroes


The only thing that can top a special quilt is...we receive news that our friend Phyllis got her call and is getting lungs tonight! Oh my, things are happening for the Breathless Buddies!

1 comment:

  1. Love the quilt soooooo much! So do all my nurses, as each one does a double take and then proceeds to ask me, "Oh wow, this is beautiful, did somebody make this for you?"

    Then I get to brag about Birdie :)

    Yay Phyllis! It's turning out to be quite a month for our friends! Can't wait to see what Santa brings the rest of us :)

    ReplyDelete