21Jun
Shopping for a Rollator (or a least a quote on the purchase of one) was our hot task today. We headed out to Starkman’s where Nellie was very helpful. She showed us what they had in stock and demonstrated the different models available. Unfortunately, the one we’ll need for Carman is on back order at the moment...it appears there are a number of patients looking for the tall model at present, so it may take 3 weeks before we can get one. Thankfully, our PT has told us we can use the one they lent us from the hospital until we get our own.
We did have success there, buying a shower stool and replacing his wedge (no, no...Stiff, Ron & Kenny - not that kind of wedge...the foam kind for propping him up when he is sleeping!). The one we had at home just wouldn’t fit in the vehicle without blocking all views of the outside world, so we left it there.
I’ve been surprised at every turn by the lack of such items for sale at any of the pharmacies in the downtown area, given the number of patients coming and going from the several blocks of hospital campuses in the same area. This is consistent with other challenges we’ve faced with insurance and provincial health care though...from our insurance company “yes, we know you’re sick but we require documentation of your diagnosis and prognosis with every claim you submit...we’re just the call centre and we don’t share information about patients” - or put said info in the patient’s file for other client reps to access, apparently. And our provincial helath care partner has lost our claim somewhere in the inter-office mail system between “service” departments, so we must gather the info and re-submit...with diagnosis, even though they have already “pre-approved” this expense and given Carman a reference number.
These are not unusual experiences for patients with chronic illness. While Carman’s number one priority and that of his fellow transplant patients is to just take their next breath and get physically prepared for surgery...the powers that be in our health care system demand that they just “jump thru these 14 hoops and 5 rings of fire, and we’ll get right on that.”
I know Teddy (pictured right) it causes one to wonder..."Is anyone out there working on a vaccine for bureaucracy?"
20Jun
Carman went to physio on his own today...our oxygen delivery hadn’t come by the time we were to leave so one of us had to stay to take delivery and bring the Tiguan up from the garage to fill the travel tank. He did his circuit but said he really missed having the help to record reps and vitals, wipe down equipment and switch oxygen ports around the room. I had told him I’d text when Omar arrived and then come to pick him up rather than him having to hail a cab when he was done. He seemed ok about it when I suggested he might enjoy a Starbucks reward treat after his session, while he was waiting for me in the atrium.
My visit with Omar was pleasingly uneventful - all tanks exchanged and/or filled without interference from testy neighbours!
Carman had just finished when we did, so I said I’d just help Omar get the tank upstairs, then be on my way...and I’d text when I was getting close. The TGH takes up the entire block bounded by College, Elizabeth, and Gerard streets and University Ave. While at the red light at College and Elizabeth I texted that I was 2 blocks away...and 15 minutes later, I pulled into the traffic circle to get him? Ahhh...traffic? what traffic?
No comments:
Post a Comment